Monday, May 10, 2010

National Prayer Day

Slowly I opened the door not knowing what or who I would see behind it. I had never been to this place before. When I took one step into the room, my heart was truly blessed at the next thing I noticed.

There were people all around the room talking to each other. In the back of the room I saw several people putting food on a serving table. There were many tables set up forming a U in the middle of the room with chairs all around it. As I looked down at it, there was a stack of papers at each place setting. I could see a picture of praying hands on the top of the stack. I knew I was in the right place.

It was National Prayer Day and I had decided to go to Brodhead, Wisconsin to join in the celebration. Brodhead is a rural small town in the heart of southern Wisconsin. I had never been to this town before, but the small town atmosphere warmed my heart. As I walked down the street to the local bank building where we would be meeting for National Prayer Day, the people were so friendly and helpful.

I was so impressed that the local bank had allowed this gathering to take place in their building. I met the local newspaper editor which was truly an honor for me. Before the program began we enjoyed a nice meal together. I sat next to several women who began telling me about some other NPD events that they had attended earlier this day in a small town close to Brodhead. We agreed that this is what our country needs. PRAYER. We needed to be on our knees praying for our country and our leaders.

After a nice luncheon, the program began. As we prayed together, I suddenly realized what was happening. There were clergy from the local non-denominational, Lutheran, Methodist, Catholic and I believe Congregational Churches leading this event. They had planned the program and as one would finish praying, the next one would get up and speak about something else and then we would pray about it. My heart was so touched that people from all denominations were praying TOGETHER for our country.

I believe God was smiling as he looked down on what was happening in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The people in this town were putting aside their denominations and were joining hands together in prayer for our country. My heart was so blessed having joined together on this day with this group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment